The rocky cliff on top of which the château is located has always been a perfect observation spot: a Gallic oppidum was first built then replaced by a feudal fortress, but nothing remains of it. The only elements that have survived throughout the centuries were built after the 15th century. Today’s chateau was constructed upon the order of Kings Charles 8th, Louis 12th and Francis 1st between the 15th and 16th centuries.
This chateau was one of the first royal residences, with which the king introduced the Italian taste in the Loire Valley. Full of history, the site includes an exceptional collection of Gothic and Renaissance furniture.
OPENING HOURS AND FEES 2017:
The chateau is open every day, all year long, except Christmas and New Year’s Day.
The Royal dwelling closes 30 minutes after the ticketing. The park closes 1 hour after the ticketing.
- January 2nd to January 31st: 9.00 am-12.30 pm / 2.00 pm-4.45 pm
- February 1st to February 29th: 9.00 am-12.30 pm / 1.30 pm-5.00 pm
- March 1st to March 31st: 9.00 am-5.30 pm nonstop
- April 1st-June 30th: 9.00 am-6.30 pm nonstop
- July 1st to August 31st: 9.00 am-7.00 pm nonstop
- September 1st to November 1st: 9.00 am-6.00 pm nonstop
- November 2nd to December 15th: 9.00 am-5.30 pm nonstop
- November 16th to December 24th : 9.00 am-12.30 pm / 2.00 pm-4.45 pm
- December 26th to 31st: 9.00 am-4.45 pm nonstop
Adult: 11,50 €
Student: 9,90 €
Child (aged 7 to 18) 7,70 €
Large families: 1€ discount per paying child upon presentation of the dedicated family card, for people visiting with at least 3 children.
Unemployed: 1€ discount upon presentation of the dedicated certificate.
Fees for groups
Group of adults (from 20 people) 8,70 €
Group of students 8,30 €
Group of schoolchildren (from 20 children aged 7 to 14) 6,70 €
Free for children under 7;
Group of children: 1 free per 15 paying;
Group of adults/students: 1 free per 20 paying
Sound & Light Show "La Prophétie d'Amboise"
Every Wednesday and Saturday in July-August, the Royal Chateau and its Park are home to an extraordinary Sound & Light performance! Alternating outstanding visual effects and scenes played by over 250 costumed comedians, the Prophétie d'Amboise relates the amazing destiny of King Francis Ist, from his childhood to his encounter with Leonardo da Vinci. An unforgettable show for both adults and children!
Hours and rates 2017
From July 1st to August 26th (10.30 pm in July / 10.00 pm in August) For the complete schedule, please visit here
- 22€/adult (from 15 years old)
- 18€/enfant (aged 7 to 14)