The presence of a Lord of Ussé, Gueldin 1st, is acknowledged from 1000. But it is only in the 15th century that the construction of today's castle started. It was originally conceived as a stronghlod, but became from the 16th a residential castle, with terraces designed by Vauban overlooking gardens imagined by Le Nôtre. The estate has been owned by family Blacas d’Aulps for several generations. But some parts of the castle are open to the public : the collegiate church, the cellars, the saddlery, the rampart walk. In this latter, the owners have created a special scenography presenting scenes from the Sleeping Beauty.
Openinh hours and rates 2017
The castle is open from mid-February to mid-november
The ticketting office closes one hour prior to the gates.
- February 1st to March 31st: 10.00 am to 6.00 pm
- April 1st to September 30th: 10.00 am to 7.00 pm
- September 30th to November 12th: 10.00 am to 6.00 pm
Rates for individual visitors
Adult 14 €
Children (aged 8 to 16) 4 €
Rates for groups
Group of adults (from 20 people) 8 €